Tuesday, June 20, 2017

TESTING OUT $2.80 BEAUTY PRODUCTS || Daiso Cosmetics || #RivetReview

Korea and Japan are leaders in designing cosmetics. Every beauty trend we are seeing has been inspired in some way by these innovations. A lot of cosmetic manufacturing is done in Korean laboratories, too. Step in DAISO, a Japanese variety store that caters to the masses at an unbeatable price, with their own brand of beauty products.


I have never used any of Daiso's brand of cosmetics before; I've really only stuck to the home improvement, stationery and crafting supplies, and beauty accessories since discovering the store a few years back. I just didn't have faith in the brand's cosmetics because of cruelty free status and the ingredients + directions not being available in English. There were several recalls for personal care items in the past due to labelling, but it looks like the QC of Daiso Australia has brought this into line more recently.

Disclaimer: I do not know the cruelty free status of Daiso's products. Use your best judgement.

.

PEELING GEL
100g tube

Korean skincare innovations have brought us the Peeling Gel, a very gentle way to physically exfoliate your skin without the use of a rough scrub.
Lab Muffin did a detailed post on how they work here.



They contain a combination of Cellulose and Carbomer as the "peeling" agents, as well as a cocktail of Centella Asiatica Extract (skin healing agent), Portulaca Oleracea Extract (rich in antioxidants), and Allantoin (anti-inflammatory agent).

Daiso's Peeling Gel comes in two flavours, "Moisture" Almond and "Smooth" Lemon. They both have different extracts.

Moisture Almond
Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract - Smoothing agent
Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract - High in antioxidants
Chlorella Minutissima (Algae) Extract - Skin conditioning agent

Smooth Lemon
Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract - Antibacterial agent
Citrus Junos (Yuzu) Fruit Extract - High in vitamin C
Chamomillia Recutita (Matricaria/German Chamomile) Extract - Skin soothing agent



HOW TO USE
Massage the gel into clean, dry skin, focusing on areas needing exfoliation. Oils and dirt will cause the product to ball up. It is simply rinsed off, follow with regular skincare. Use once or twice a week in place of your exfoliant.

THOUGHTS?



I tried both, to see whether they did anything differently, but they simply just smell different. The almond has a faint sweet fragrance, and the lemon – I'll let you guess; they are not overpowering, though. Performance wise, they both do what they claim and leave skin feeling soft. I did not experience any irritation.

The only product I could compare these to is the Klara Cosmetics Reset Gel (50mL RRP $34.99AUD), and for $2.80 for 100mL, this is definitely a budget solution that performs.

.

THE NATURAL PACK
CHARCOAL PEEL OFF MASK
80g tube

The peel off mask trend at the moment has everybody photographing what had been pulled out of their face (namely dead skin and vellus hair, aka "peach fuzz"). They claim to minimize pores, remove blackheads, and help with oil.


You literally are working with a base formula of Polyvinyl Alcohol, a non-toxic polymer that has many applications. Yes, its consumer use has to be food and drug grade, because is found in PVA craft glue, but also in eye drops as a lubricating agent.
Note: Alcohol is a chemistry term for a molecule that contains an –OH functional group.

Other Ingredients:
Charcoal Powder - Oil absorbing properties, and colourant to the mask
Morus Alba Bark (Mulberry) Extract - Skin brightening agent
Coix Lacryma-Jobi Ma-Yuen Seed (Job's Tears) Extract - Skin conditioning agent

HOW TO USE
You can use this all over your face, however, I chose to only use it on my nose, where the oil is. Apply a thin and even layer to clean, dry skin and allow to set for 15-20 minutes. Peel upwards from the bottom of the mask. Use no more than twice per week.

THOUGHTS?
This is not the first peel off mask I have tried (Manuka Doctor ApiClear Purifying Facial Peel - RRP $39.95AUD [gift]), however, it is my first charcoal peel off mask. I personally did not get any benefit from this mask as I don't have blackheads, in the clinical definition of the term, however, blocked pores, yes. Given my sebaceous filaments are very average, I could get away with not using this and simply doing extractions with a tissue.


I did however use it on my Mum, who has had some pretty bad congestion around her nose, but it didn't help her as much as we anticipated. I could probably leave this, but it's a novelty. I won't be buying any more products of the kind.

.

DEEP H MOISTURE GEL
40g tub

I kind of needed a moisturiser then and there, so after looking at the ingredients of this moisturising gel, I was satisfied that it would do the job.


DH Moisture Gel contains Hyaluronic Acid, a favourite humectant of mine. There isn't really much more in there aside from Squalane (extracted from olives and serves as an oil naturally found in human skin), Dimethicone (silicone film to smooth and protect skin) and Tocopherol (Vitamin E, antioxidant). It's a lightweight gel, that moisturises skin and improves hydration.
Note: Squalane differs from Squalene (found in shark liver oil), it can be obtained in a chemical reaction with the latter substance, however after researching its origins, squalane seems to be mostly collected from non-animal sources, but I do not know the source of the squalane in this formula.

HOW TO USE
Whenever, wherever, however much you need!

THOUGHTS?
I was rather pleased with the formula and texture of the product. It left my skin feeling really soft and comfortable. I definitely need a heavier moisturiser in winter, but this would be great for summer, as it has the oils I need. The next best thing? No fragrance!

.

SPECIAL MENTION

DETERGENT FOR PUFF AND SPONGE
80mL bottle



If you can get this, your beauty blender sponge will come up squeaky clean. Highly recommended for the pro-MUA. It's cheap and it works. I use it on all my sponges and brushes (for deep cleaning).

.

All these products and more are available for $2.80 at Daiso stores across Australia. Find your local store.
Have you tried any of Daiso's cosmetics? Let me know what you think!

These products were purchased by myself, my thoughts are honest. For more information, please read my Disclosure Policy.

2 comments:

  1. I love their puff and sponge cleanser. Not only does it smell pleasant, it makes my brushes look brand new again!

    Lubz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally does! IDK about the smell? I don't think it smells like anything.

      Delete